Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Overcoming Depression; Put Your Hope in God!

NEWS FLASH!
Today, I launched my You Tube Channel.
Here is my video devotional (vlog) on Psalm 42:5-6.

Look forward to seeing you there! 
Thank you in advance for subscribing! 




"Why am I discouraged? 
Why is my heart so sad? 

I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again— my Savior and my God! 

Now I am deeply discouraged, but I will remember you— even from distant Mount Hermon,the source of the Jordan, from the land of Mount Mizar." 


Psalm 42:5-6 

Depression is a time for soul-searching, for asking questions. 

We are often discouraged because we concentrate on our circumstances rather than on God and what He wants to reveal to us through His Word.

The psalmists questions awakened him to the reality that God alone is his source for comfort and for hope. Scripture says that "hope deferred makes the heart sick". 

Depression is often a sign that our hope has been misplaced. We have taken root into something or someone other than God. 

Sometimes, that root can be expectations that we have of God and of others. When it fails to go our way or the way we expect it to go - we lose hope.

We need to uproot those expectations and place our hope and confidence back into God! We need to let those roots grow deeper and stronger in God and in God alone.

If God is allowing a certain trial, test or temptation for us - then we have to see it as God fortifying and strengthening a certain Truth into our lives. God allowed Jesus to be tempted in the wilderness and it was Jesus' unwavering convictions to the Truth that allowed him overcoming victory over his enemy. It wasn't just the fact that he knew the Truth - He believed these Truths! 

God allows the temptation to bring us back to the one and only source for life. God and His Word. Every temptation will strengthen us in Truth if we allow it to. If we ask the questions and then wait on God for which Word of Life ... in Scripture will empower us to overcome! We must allow our roots to grow deep into that Truth and we will walk victorious! 

"But Jesus told him, 
“No! The Scriptures say, 
‘People do not live by bread alone, 
but by every word that comes from the mouth of God."
Matthew 4:4

No comments:

Post a Comment